A little about me....

Not long ago I picked up cooking as a hobby. Along with every other hobby I have claimed, I stocked up on "how to" books (in this case, recipe books). Slowly, I have picked through the many recipe pages to find true gems (those recipes I'm not afraid to recommend to other people). But, I find myself repeating meals for sheer simplicity, leaving my recipe books to collect dust on the shelf. So, I have decided to give myself a challenge: cook at least one new recipe each week. Thus, the creation of this blog!
I invite you to join me on my daunting journey through recipe books filled with cooking jargon, odd ingredients, and new techniques to make everyday cooking interesting for this everyday cook.






Friday, September 9, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes

Recipe Rating ****



Summer has come to an unofficial end (sniff sniff) and I decided to go out with one last summer recipe bang…Coconut Cupcakes!  When asked to bring dessert to a Labor Day party, I knew this recipe was the one.  Coconut is THE summer flavor.  Doesn’t it remind you of all things summer, such as an exotic island, summer cottage, or just plain old Banana Boat sunscreen?  The first time my eyes fell upon this lovely recipe was when I was searching through Barefoot Contessa’s Cookbook for an appropriate Memorial Day party dessert.  It was love at first sight, and the party goers raved about the flavors!  So, it was only natural for me to bookend the summer with what I believe to be Ina Garten’s best dessert recipe. 
But, as always, I didn’t follow the recipe to its entirety.  You see, I have a few “dirty little baking secrets”.   I call these secrets “dirty” because they are probably frowned upon by the most professional of bakers (which I am not).  But, I think the average, everyday cook would appreciate the tips.


My “Dirty Little Baking Secrets”


#1           I have given up the practice of sifting when baking.  Many recipes call for the baker to sift flour and other dry ingredients together.  Many years ago I bought a small sifter and used it faithfully whenever directions commanded.   But, one day I decided to take the easy way out and whisk dry ingredients, rather than sift.  Low and behold, I found no difference in my finished product.  I did a little research regarding the matter and feel a bit more justified as I now know I am not the only one.  Apparently, one reason for sifting flour is to ensure it is not packed too tightly, resulting in the use of more flour than a recipe intends.  A solution I found to that was to simply “loosen” my flour before measuring it out.  However, dry ingredients should be at least whisked together to ensure they are spread evenly throughout the mixture.


#2           Another discovery I made (and another “dirty little secret”) is a new use for my ice cream scoop.  Before I got married, I made the typical registry selections at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I specifically found pleasure in scanning many items on BB&B’s wall of gadgets.  This is where you will find a plethora of items, while interesting, are most likely not needed in the everyday kitchen (think cherry piter, egg poacher, and veggie choppers that don’t work like they do in infomercials).  Of these items I chose an ice cream scoop that has sat in a drawer, unused, for most of my married life (neither my husband or I are ice cream fiends).  Alas, I discovered an extremely useful job for this poor little ice cream scooper: cupcake and muffin batter scooper! No longer do I contend with the drippy mess of pouring batter into muffin tins!
  

#3           I generally buy icing, rather than make it. This particular recipe has instructions on making a cream cheese icing.  While I’m sure this icing is delicious, I find the extra step unnecessary.  If I had gobs of uninterrupted time I would make the extra effort.  But, as it stands, I am still trying to squeeze most of my cooking and baking in during my sweet daughter’s nap.  I like Betty Crocker’s icing line and often opt for the butter cream flavor (yum!).     But, if you have the time and desire to make icing, go for it! Here is a link to Ina Garten’s cream cheese icing (as well as her full recipe of the coconut cupcakes).


One last change I made to the recipe was more for ascetic than anything else.  I chose to toast the coconut I was putting on top of the cupcakes.  The original recipe calls for the cupcakes to be topped with sweetened, shredded coconut (the same as is mixed into the batter).  But, I thought the cupcakes would look more appealing when the topping coconut was slightly browned.  It also gives the coconut a nuttier flavor, which I believe is a good compliment to the sweetness of the cake.   Toasting coconut is simple.  Lay coconut out on a baking sheet and place in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes (tossing it around every 5 minutes or so).  I actually toasted the coconut while my cupcakes were baking!


Everyday Cooking Takeaways
  • It is generally fine to whisk dry ingredients, rather than sift
  • Use an ice cream scooper when filling a muffin tin
  • Bought icing is not as good as freshly made, but does the trick
  • Don't forget to lick the spoon
Coconut Cupcakes Recipe
Makes 20 large cupcakes
Ingredients:
3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp pure almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut (toast 7 ounces if you are topping the cupcake with toasted coconut)
Betty Crocker’s Butter Cream Icing (or Barefoot Contessa’s Cream Cheese Icing)



Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer for about 5 minutes (until mixture looks light and fluffy).
3. Turn mixer on low and add the eggs, one at a time.  Scrape down sides of the bowl to ensure the eggs are fully mixed in.
4. Add vanilla and almond and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  
 


6.  Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix.  Add the butter milk and mix.  Then end with lightly mixing the rest of the dry ingredients into the bowl until just combined.  
7. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut (untoasted). 
 
8. Line muffin tin with paper liners.  Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cup to the top.
9. Bake for 25 minutes until tops have browned and a
toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool completely and top with icing and toasted coconut.





What do you think about whisking versus sifting? I would love to hear your feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmy! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try this recipe out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut and these look amazing. Thanks for the recipe. And, wow- your pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete