A little about me....

Not long ago I picked up cooking as a hobby. Along with every other hobby I have claimed, I stocked up on "how to" books (in this case, recipe books). Slowly, I have picked through the many recipe pages to find true gems (those recipes I'm not afraid to recommend to other people). But, I find myself repeating meals for sheer simplicity, leaving my recipe books to collect dust on the shelf. So, I have decided to give myself a challenge: cook at least one new recipe each week. Thus, the creation of this blog!
I invite you to join me on my daunting journey through recipe books filled with cooking jargon, odd ingredients, and new techniques to make everyday cooking interesting for this everyday cook.






Friday, September 23, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Recipe Rating ****




There is nothing like butternut squash soup on a rainy, fall day (like today!).  Even better, there is nothing like getting the squash for $1.50 each at produce junction! Since they were priced so well, I bought a few and decided to look for a good soup recipe.  Of course, I referred immediately to America's Test Kitchen.

An easy way of preparing butternut squash is by baking it like a potato on 400 degrees. But, the recipe called for it to be peeled and chopped prior to cooking.  Although this is more time consuming and slightly complicated (see my previous post Butternut squash...my "frenemy"), I believe the flavors of the squash are much more rich when cooked in the soup.

  So, I peeled and chopped the squash.  Butternut squash can be challenging because it is large and firm.  There are different ways of chopping it, but here is the method I choose.  Using a large chopping knife, I first cut off each end of the squash.  I then use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin.  Placing your knife in the middle, horizontally, cut the entire squash in half.  Cut each half in half again, vertically. Remove the seeds from the fat end of the squash with a spoon, then chop the rest as you normally would a potato. 


One change I made to the recipe involved the blending method.  The recipe instructs the "chef" to remove the cooked soup in batches and puree in a blender.  I have had too many soup explosions in a blender to even attempt this method again!   I used an immersion blender to get this job done.  If you don't own one or have never used one, I highly recommend you taking your Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons to the store now and purchasing this piece of equipment.  Using an immersion blender is an extremely efficient way to blend any kind of liquid for meals (soups, sauces, etc.).  Sadly, during the making of this meal, my immersion blender died.  But, it served me for a good 7 years! I will be grabbing my Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons and running to the store ASAP...I can't live without this thing! 

All in all, this soup recipe was delicious and hit the spot on a rainy, first day of fall.  


Everyday Cooking Takeaways
  • Learn how to properly cut a butternut squash, or you will be cutting your fingers! 
  • Don't forget to wear gloves (see my previous post Butternut squash...my "frenemy")
  • Invest in an immersion blender



Butternut Squash Recipe
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
2 tbls unsalted butter 
1 onion, chopped small
3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 sprigs of thyme (or more if using for garnish)
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper


Method:

1.  Melt butter in a large, heavy bottom pot on medium heat.

2. Add onion and cook until onion is softened (approx. 5 minutes). 

3. Add squash, chicken broth, nutmeg, and thyme to the pot.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes (until squash is tender). 

4. Off heat, remove thyme stalks. Then, using an immersion blender, puree soup until thickened.  If you do not have an immersion blender, puree soup in a standard blender in batches.

5. Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.

6. Garnish each bowl with sprigs of thyme or croutons.


Do you use an immersion blender?  How do you like to blend liquid for meals?


I linked this post up to The Shabby Nest, Clean & Scentsible, Permanent Posies, and Fingerprints on the Fridge


4 comments:

  1. I agree! I never blend soups in the blender anymore... it is way too time consuming to ladle scoops in the blender and blend in batches... let alone the risk of hot soup explosions. I also can't live without my immersion blender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm not a fan of butternut soup, after reading this I will attempt to make mine as yummy as yours. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love my immersion blender! It is definitely a 'must have' in my kitchen. Butternut Squash soup is my favorite of the season. Looking forward to trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete